StateFairofTX State Fair of Texas
Department: Public Relations
Department Head: Sr Vice President, Public Relations
Reports To: Public Relations Coordinator
Updated: June 2021
Compensation: Seasonal – Hourly
Possible Start Date: August 2, 2021
Possible End Date: October 27, 2021
The State Fair of Texas is seeking several Public Relations Assistants to join our seasonal team for our largest fundraiser of the year – the 2021 State Fair of Texas event. This public relations role would specifically support the Hispanic market. Responsibilities may include writing PR materials or marketing copy, including press releases, marketing collateral, social media posts, newsletter and website copy, preparing media kits, assisting with special events, working with other departments to improve communication efforts, interacting with outside vendors and members of the media, and assisting with the Fair’s overall PR activities. Strong copywriting, communication, and organizational skills are required. Knowledge and love of Big Tex and the State Fair of Texas are essential.
This is a paid (hourly) position from August 2 through October 27, 2021. Applicants must be able to work all 24 days of the Fair (September 24, 2021 through October 17, 2021). Work may include long hours including early mornings, late nights, and weekends, in all weather conditions, when necessary.
Please note: In order to host a safe event for everyone, all seasonal employees currently working or joining the State Fair in the foreseeable future must show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to HR before we complete the hiring process. Your proof of vaccination will be kept secure and confidential. The COVID-19 vaccine is essential for us to host an event this fall, which serves as our largest fundraiser and main source of revenue for the year, and we need to ensure that our employees, vendors, and guests are kept safe and healthy.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your resume directly to email@example.com.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain awareness and possible coordination of public and community relations activities;
- Assist with development and distribution of press materials and correspondence to the media and general public;
- Produce written materials for department and assist other departments when necessary;
- Assist in cultivation of relationships with media, community organizations, and the general public;
- Assist in coordination of television appearances, interviews, radio remotes, and film shoots as necessary. Some may require overnight hours;
- Assist in tracking and maintenance of media coverage, update media database, and help qualify and fulfill media requests;
- Assist in execution of special events and promotions;
- Project a positive image of all aspects of the State Fair of Texas within the community at all times;
- Provide a wide variety of general administrative support, including, but not limited to, maintenance of accurate and detailed files and records; verify accuracy of information, research discrepancies, and record information;
- Respond to requests for information from management/supervisory personnel or guests;
- Work information booths, call center, and guest relations as requested leading up to and during the event;
- Provide information on departmental and State Fair of Texas policies and procedures as required; and transfer inquiries to the appropriate individual or department as necessary; receive, resolve and respond to guest inquiries and complaints.