StateFairofTX State Fair of Texas
Department: Public Relations
Department Head: Sr Vice President, Public Relations
Reports To: Sr Vice President, Public Relations
Updated: June 2021
Compensation: Seasonal – Hourly
Possible Start Date: August 2, 2021
Possible End Date: October 27, 2021
The State Fair of Texas is seeking Media Relations Coordinators to join the seasonal team for our largest fundraiser of the year – the 2021 State Fair of Texas event. Media Relations Coordinators serve as one of the primary points of contact for public and media relations efforts for the annual State Fair of Texas event. They will actively monitor the media landscape and participate in crafting and disseminating the broad communications strategies which will enhance positive coverage of the State Fair of Texas. By maintaining relationships with the media, drafting press releases, pitch letters, and other written materials, and coordinating media pitches with other departments, the Media Relations Coordinators play key roles in influencing audiences about the annual event and the overall mission of the organization. Knowledge and love of Big Tex and the State Fair of Texas are essential.
This is an ideal position for folks who have worked for many years either as a member of the media or in a media relations role.
This is a paid (hourly) position from August 2 through October 27, 2021. Applicants must be able to work all 24 days of the Fair (September 24, 2021 through October 17, 2021). Work may include long hours including early mornings, late nights, and weekends, in all weather conditions, when necessary.
Please note: In order to host a safe event for everyone, all seasonal employees currently working or joining the State Fair in the foreseeable future must show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to HR before we complete the hiring process. Your proof of vaccination will be kept secure and confidential. The COVID-19 vaccine is essential for us to host an event this fall, which serves as our largest fundraiser and main source of revenue for the year, and we need to ensure that our employees, vendors, and guests are kept safe and healthy.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your resume directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as a point of contact for media inquiries. Monitor incoming requests from the media and be available to coordinate stories and breaking news issues as necessary;
- Proactively identify outlets/reporters to pitch news stories and aggressively seek media coverage for the State Fair of Texas;
- Cultivate, nurture, and maintain relationships with key media;
- Actively monitor all media (print, TV, radio, Internet), identifying stories of interest for the event and the organization’s mission;
- Work closely with other departments to help craft communications strategy, coordinate media pitching and maintain consistency in organizational messaging;
- Help create, maintain, and disseminate all press materials;
- Set up interviews with Fair spokespeople as necessary (this role will not perform interviews as a spokesperson);
- Work closely with SVP of Public Relations and support all projects as necessary;
- Assist in the promotion of all State Fair of Texas events;
- Draft press releases, pitch letters, letters to the editor, op-ed pieces, and other press materials as needed;
- Draft speaking points and prepare Fair spokespeople for interviews, as needed;
- Maintain interview log, media database, and internal media files;
- Document all work and provide media coverage reports and project summary reports for internal accessibility;
- Work information booths, call center, and guest relations as requested leading up to and during the event.